Monday 6 April 2009

Mid thirties crises: Cocaine, shag and a flutter

Last year I did some research with working class guys aged between thirty and forty.
These guys were 'tradesmen' e.g. builders and plumbers.
What was interesting is that they are a 'health time bomb"
They were smoking and drinking heavily, would indulge in a bit of cocaine at the weekend and some would visit prostitutes.

Here is some of what they said:

"They call me 2 Pac cause I always have two grams of coke with me, one for myself and one to share with the lads"

"I always have a couple of lines of coke on Friday's before I go home to see the kid's"

"My weekend is all about gambling, football, beer and a few lines...and if I can get it a shag"

"If I win on the horses, I will visit a prostitute for a blow job"

These people are the 'Loaded' generation: they were brought up reading lads mags and their attitudes are defined by believing that excess in 'vice is good and gives them kudos of being a geezer.

However, the worrying thing is that these people are often Fathers - so one must question what will be the impact on the next generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment